NEW YORK—The Accessories Council
has launched an Accessories Innovation Committee (AIC), a team of dynamic young leaders that have designed a mentorship program to empower emerging talent in the accessories industry, the organization said, adding that its mission is to help participating brands amplify their business over a six-month period. The program focuses on helping early emerging designers (in business from 0-3 years) launch their careers in accessories and jewelry. Finalists will benefit from the Accessories Council’s network of industry leaders Mentorship-based knowledge, educational seminars, networking opportunities, experience and exposure.
Karen Giberson, president of the Council, told VMAIL
, “Our goal with the Accessories Innovation Committee mentees is to help accelerate the growth of our industry’s newer companies. We will be hosting regular networking sessions for this team, matching them with a group of specific mentors to help with some of their challenges and hopefully saving them time/money. Our AIC founding team is made up of dynamic companies, mostly that have been in business for 10 years that are happy to help the next generation. We feel strongly that our next industry star brands and leaders will emerge from these efforts.”
The team has just announced the first nine participants in the program, selected by the advisory board. The participants (and the mentors) include eyewear and sunwear companies as well as firms starting in handbag, jewelry, scarf and small leather goods sectors.
• Barbara Bremer, Co-Owner at Binge Knitting
• Ruchika Chani, Owner at Chuchumai
• Deondra Morris, Designer & CEO at Deondra Jeree, Inc.
• Sophia Khan, President & Founder at Inara Fine Jewelry
• Ellie Clougherty, Co-Founder at Kamaria
• Marion Parke, Founder, CEO & Creative Director at Marion Parke
• Mia Wright-Ross, Founder at MWR Collections
• Monica Lee, Founder & Designer at Piccolo
• Morganne Leigh, Founder & Designer at Tyche & Inset Eyewear
• Karen Giberson, President at Accessories Council
• Jay Lakhani, Designer & Founder at Deepa Gurnani; AIC Chairman
• Carrie Sporer, Brand Strategy Consultant & Founder at CS Consulting
• Charlie Roberts, Product Director at ECHO Design Group
• Florence Shin, Co-Founder at Covry
• Frieda Rothman, Founder & Desiener at Frieda Rothman Jewelry
• Heather Hubbard, CEO, Founder & Design/Product Development & MR Handbags
• Johathan Meizer, Founder & Creative Director at Title of Work
• Katie Falchi, President & Chief Designer at Carlos Falchi Couture
• Kim Lai, Creative Director at Jaunt
The Accessories Council, is a not-for-profit international trade association established in 1994. Its mission is to stimulate consumer awareness and demand for fashion accessory products. The Council serves the industry globally, which generates over $50.8 billion dollars annually in the U.S. alone.
Over the past 20 years, membership has grown internationally to include over 280 companies and organizations representing the world’s leading brand names, designers, publications, retailers and associated providers for the accessories, eyewear and footwear industries